Sustainable chemistry is a scientific concept that seeks to improve the efficiency with which natural resources are used to meet human needs for chemical products and services. Sustainable chemistry encompasses the design, manufacture and use of efficient, effective, safe and more environmentally benign chemical products and processes. Sustainable chemistry is also a process that stimulates innovation across all sectors to design and discover new chemicals, production processes, and product stewardship practices that will provide increased performance and increased value while meeting the goals of protecting and enhancing human health and the environment.
Benefits of Sustainable Chemistry
- The environmental and societal benefits of sustainable chemistry include:
- Avoiding the use of persistent, bioaccumulative, toxic, and otherwise hazardous materials;
- Using renewable resources and decreasing consumption of non-renewable resources,
- Minimising negative environmental impacts of chemical processing and manufacturing;
- Providing technologies that are economically competitive for and advantageous to industry.